Dozens of hotel guests possibly poisoned with carbon monoxide


More than 60 people were sent to the hospital after suffering possible carbon monoxide poisoning at a West Virginia hotel, according to local officials and media reports.

The reported carbon monoxide leak occurred early Sunday morning at Microtel Inn & Suites, owned by Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, in Gassaway, West Virginia.

The leak was reported around 2 a.m. on Sunday, Braxton County emergency and health officials told local station WOWK. The Gassaway Fire Department responded to the “mass casualty” situation at the Microtel Inn & Suites shortly after the leak was reported.

The inn’s occupants were evacuated and evaluated, with dozens of people being transported to Braxton Memorial Hospital for potential carbon monoxide poisoning. While there were no reported deaths as of Sunday night, local media reported that several people were in critical condition.

Newsweek reached out via email on Sunday evening to representatives for Braxton County Health Department and Wyndham Hotels and Resorts for update and comment on the incident.

In total, the gas leak at the hotel caused 68 hotel occupants to seek medical treatment, with three people reported in critical condition, Braxton County emergency responders told local station WCHS. The three people in critical condition were still hospitalized on Sunday afternoon, the outlet reported.

While it was unclear what caused the possible gas leak at the time of publication, investigators were able to identify the source and resolve the issue, according to the local media reports. Fire marshals also inspected the building with carbon monoxide detectors to confirm safe levels and the hotel has since reopened, according to WCHS.

Members of the Gassaway, Flatwoods and Sutton Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the incident and assisted the fire marshal.

Representatives for the Microtel Inn & Suites in Sutton confirmed to WCHS that the hotel is open.

Carbon monoxide poisoning, which kills over 200 people and sends 20,000 people to emergency rooms annually in the United States, is a serious occurrence that can cause severe damage to your health and can result in death. It happens when people breathe in carbon monoxide fumes, which are extremely toxic at high levels. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is produced when gasoline, kerosene, coal and other fuels burn. While it is most common in winter months, it can happen anytime there isn’t proper ventilation or malfunctioning devices.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, chest pain, fainting (loss of consciousness), mental confusion, blurred vision and respiratory failure.

More than 60 people were sent to the hospital after suffering possible carbon monoxide poisoning at a Microtel Inn in Sutton, West Virginia.

Brandon Bell/Getty